Big Days in the Big Apple



          The NYC Gray Group is loving life in the Big Apple! Most of us were able to enjoy a snow day on Thursday, which was a blast. However, by Thursday evening, we were more than ready to begin serving as interns. We have girls working in various fields, all around the city. I am going to be working at the Virginia Club of New York, which is the University of Virginia alumni association. The Club helps plan and put on events, in order to help alumni stay connected with one another. Unfortunately, my host came down with strep throat on Thursday; therefore, my first day was pushed to Monday. I am SO excited to start! 

Go Islanders!
For most of our group, Friday marked the first day of internships. Everyone scattered around the city and reported to their respective offices. From what I can gather, their first days were a success! Everyone came home jazzed and ready to share what tasks they had been assigned for their first day. Some spent the day tagging products, while others spent the day filing. Several girls ran errands around the city. Some were just picking up and delivering clothing, while others were hunting down some apple cider for their host to serve at an event. On Friday night, after everyone was safely home from their first day, we made a trip to Brooklyn in order to watch the New York Islanders take on the Pittsburgh Penguins. The game was a ton of fun; however, I have to say, New York does not hold a candle to Smashville! We did not end up staying for the entire game, as none of us wanted to see the Penguins destroying the home team. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our trip to Brooklyn! 

On Saturday, we spent the day exploring the city by going on a combination bus and walking tour. We, along with our precious tour guide Richard, visited the Financial District, the 911 Memorial, Trinity Church, and Grand Central Station. We ended our day with a Middle Eastern dinner at Taboon. It was a busy, freezing (the low temperature for the day was zero), but fun day! 

Although we are loving our time in the city, I would be remiss if I did not include just a few bloopers that we have had while here. Accident #1—On Thursday, which, as a reminder, was very snowy and icy, I was walking back from a coffee shop. I rounded a corner and was mystified when I saw what was ahead. Standing before me was a small dog, with a red dyed Mohawk, wearing galoshes. I was so intrigued by the creature that I stopped looking where I was going. I immediately slipped on a patch of ice and took a tumble. Accident #2—On Friday, when we went to dinner at Taboon, we had the option to choose an entree. There were several options to choose from, including lamb, sea bass, fillet, and gnocchi. At my table, several of us ordered the fillet, expecting to receive a piece of beef. One brave soul at our table had the guts to ask for clarification hat the fillet was in fact a fillet of beef. We were all mortified when we were told that the fillet was a piece of fish! Half of our table switched our orders to something different, and we were happy that we did when the fillet was brought out to a handful of girls and it was a large fish, with a tail! Accident #3—On our way home from dinner one night, we were walking on the sidewalk when I felt something on my boots. I looked down, expecting to see a piece of trash bouncing in the wind. I was shocked, and terrified, when I saw a rat (!!!) scurry over my feet, and continue to move past the sidewalk, where Rachel proceeded to, inadvertently, kick it away, while I let out a loud squeak. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. A rat climbed over, first Mary Haden’s foot, then my boots, until Rachel kicked it to the curb, literally. Although this moment startled and, ultimately, scarred me, I guess I can now be considered a real New Yorker. 😊 

 Our first few days in New York have been action-packed. We have experienced a snow storm, commuted to work, begun our internships, shopped, and explored. There have been some triumphs, like when girls have effectively maneuvered the NYC subway system, and there have some accidents, like when the rat came after us. All in all, we are just so happy to be here, together, in the city that never sleeps. I cannot wait to find out what’s in store for us! 
We love NYC!
-Lady Frances Hamilton


Comments

Popular Posts